Monday, August 16, 2010

Restaurant Review: San Antonio

Thanks to Tracy for sending in this review.

The Cove
606 W. Cypress St.
San Antonio, Texas 78212
http://thecove.us/cove/index.php

First Encounter
I received 5 emails in one day from friends all over the states, inquiring if I’d tried this restaurant yet. Strange? No. They’d all been watching the food network and were dying to hear first hand if The Cove was all it’s cracked up to be. I usually avoid a restaurant for months after it’s been featured on tv, because I hate being hungry and having to wait. I also like to forget about it so my expectations aren’t too high. In this case, I could wait no longer after looking at their menu online.

When you arrive, you order in the first building. The pressure is on, so you might want to look at the menu online, before you get there. Otherwise, grab a menu from the counter and step aside for the ravenous people behind you. They’ll give you a number and you head to the next building or the patio to grab a seat. I prefer indoors in the summer in Texas because I’m not one to share my food with the flies.

The Food
We ordered the organic hummus to start and it was quite good. the bella burger is a grilled portabella mushroom burger with sauteed spinach, red onion, jack cheese, and a spicy poblano sauce, and it is fantastic. Messy, but so worth the mess. The sweet potato fries were a nice compliment. My husband had the Lisa’s Special - 2 fish tacos and a spinach salad. The tacos were delicious and the sauce on them was just right. The Cove is known for their lamb burgers, but I just can’t bring myself to eat lamb. I try to go veggie most of the time, but upon moving to Texas, my inner carnivore has emerged. this place makes it easy to swing either was with unique options on both sides of the fence.

The Atmosphere
If you’re with friends and the weather is just right, I can see the patio being an excellent spot to spend an entire evening. If you have kids, they’ve got you covered. there is an outdoor play yard (you can cage them in!) and a basketball court. the inside dining area is another great option, very artsy and loaded with personality. They offer over a hundred types of been and wine at the bar and even have wine and beer tastings throughout the month. you can also enjoy live music several nights a week. Overall, The Cove lived up to the hype!

No comments: