Saturday, May 15, 2010

Test Kitchen


Every Saturday I'll try out a new recipe...you'll see the good and the bad of it.

Summer Berry Brownie
http://www.cooksrecipes.com/dessert/summer_berry_brownie_torte_recipe.html

Description: We were in charge of dessert for Dinner Club...and I found this brownie recipe a few days ago. It was from some random web site and had no previous reviews. This is generally a recipe I don't mess with. But hey...this is Test Kitchen.

Recipe Difficulty (Scale of 1-10): 3
Sara and I teamed up on this one. Actually, Sara did about 80% of it. I must admit, my baking confidence was not at an all-time high due to last week's blondie debacle (we shall never speak of that again). I was in charge of the whipped cream topping and slicing the strawberries. If you think that's special, I can also tie my shoes and chew gum at the same time. Anyway, Sara handled the much more difficult brownie portion. This was our first attempt at making brownies from scratch.

How it turned out: Good, not great
Even for brownies these turned out a little dense. They were good, but I'm gonna say what everyone was thinking last night...Ghirardelli Brownies are better (you can find the economy size at Costco's). How do I know this? I had to stop at one portion last night. With Ghirardellis, I tend to not stop until I feel my gut creeping over my pant's waist line.

Would I make again: No
It's not that I wouldn't make these again because they were bad. There's just too many good box brownies out there to really fool with making them from scratch. I'm glad we did it...but probably won't try it again. This recipe was the essence of Test Kitchen.

No comments: