Saturday, September 11, 2010

Vegetarian View

Monthly Feature
Molly gives us a peek at a restaurant through the eyes of a vegetarian.


Yelapa Playa Mexicana

Vegetarian Selection: (2) Stars
Out of a robust two-page menu, Yelapa Playa Mexicana only had two vegetarian entrées and five appetizers. Big thumbs down I say. Vegans, I don’t even think there is anything here for you. Go across the parking lot to Hobbit Café for a friendlier animal free selection. I believe all of Yelapa Playa Mexicana’s cocktails are meat free…does that count?

Ordered Dish: (5) Stars
I was so enamored with my food that I am willing to completely forgive Yelapa Playa Mexicana for their sparse vegetarian selection. There, I said it.

My before dinner cocktail was a peach mojito. The muddled mint and sweet peach blended perfectly. The mint stayed well at the top of the glass with the ice, while I quickly slurped the peachy-minty goodness with a straw. This was a great start to my variety less meal.

For the appetizer I ordered “The Real Guacamole” and “The Actual Pico De Gallo.” WOW! I have never in my life eaten such unique and flavorful guac or pico before. The guacamole was not mashed up but served very chunky with mango, black olives and fennel. It was the most gourmet guac that has ever touched my lips. The pico was also chunky, hearty and had ingredients like pineapple and cilantro. These two appetizers blew my mind. When the server first brought them out, I started to correct him because I thought he had the wrong table. Guac and pico are supposed to be mushy yet tasty, not vibrant and bursting with unique flavors.

The vegetable quesadilla was my choice for the entrée. It too was delicious and unusual. Even though it was only between the vegetable quesadillas or vegetable tacos, I was not let down. The cheese on the quesadilla was a different kind of cheese, one that I could not exactly put my finger on but I know I’ve had before. The vegetables in the quesadilla were uncommon too. They were squash blooms, pea leaves and a spicy lime aioli. All yummy.

Healthy Rating: (2) Stars
My cheese and vegetable quesadillas were not healthy at all – but neither was my luscious peach mojito. All I can take away from this dinner was that I got a lot of calcium, protein and some vegetables in for the day. Several laps around Memorial Park and days of eating like a rabbit were the only things that could negate this meal. But it was so good I don’t care.

Overall Opinion: (5) Stars
The service was A+. Our waiter Al was super informative and professional - actually all of the employees were very friendly and helpful. Parking is a bother but they have valet (complimentary I believe). The restaurant’s theme is Pacific coast-inspired Mexican and the food and décor accurately represent this. I gave Yelapa Playa Mexicana five stars even though they did not have a large vegetarian selection because it has been a very long time that a restaurant has swept me off my feet. The limited variety of meat-free foods that I did eat there were superb. Beware though; Yelapa Playa Mexicana is on the expensive side. We dined with a gift card so our ending bill was not that bad. Everything was very tropical and I felt like I was on vacation eating here. For a moment I thought I was in Key West, but then I stepped outside and was greeted by Richmond Avenue. Nope, still in Houston.

http://www.yelapatime.com/
2303 Richmond Avenue
Houston, TX 77098

No comments: