Monday, September 13, 2010

Restaurant Review: Houston

Mondays are dedicated to bringing you a Houston restaurant review or one from around the country. Keeping it local this week.

Leonard's Famous Burgers


The Background: A visit to Leonard’s Famous Burgers represented one of my top moments in food blogging. Not quite sure how I found this place on the net, but I did. Since reading Albert’s blog on a daily basis, burgers have been on the brain. I was looking forward to my trip to Leonard’s, but forgot to get the address. I went back to the computer and this time ran across Robb Walsh’s Top 100 list. Guess who was on it? Away I went.

The Scene: I’m not going to sugarcoat this one…the drive to Leonard’s won’t be showing up anytime soon on the Travel Channel. It’s in a rough area, and the structure itself is nothing more than a shack. But I loved it. You park and walk up. A voice from through the screened ordering window asked me what I wanted to eat. I had a feeling this was Leonard.

The Food: I ordered the Bacon Cheeseburger Combo. It came with fries and a soda. The patty was fresh and topped with salty, crispy bacon. All the standard fixings were there: mayo, mustard, lettuce, pickles and tomatoes. The soft-on-the-outside-and-perfectly-toasted-on-the-inside bun brought the whole thing together. Although the burger was super juicy and moist, it held its form. It never fell apart or got sloppy on me. The fries were soft, greasy, thick, and peppery…in short, awesome! For around $7, I couldn’t ask for more.

The Verdict: When my order was ready, I went back to the window and had a little chat with Leonard. I thanked him for making what I knew was going to be a great burger. I was right. In fact, it was the best burger I’ve eaten in Houston. But getting to meet Leonard was even better.

1913 W.Little York
Hours: Quote from Leonard…”I’m here from 9 til 9, every day.”

No comments: