Monday, September 20, 2010

Houston Restaurant Review: Lucky Pot

Mondays are dedicated to bringing you a Houston restaurant review or one from around the country. Keeping it local this week with a visit to Lucky Pot.

The Background:
I'm a sucker for dumplings. I love them, and am always in search of the next great spot for consumption. My favorite place to go in Houston is Lai Lai Dumpling House. But after perusing Robb Walsh's Top 100 List again, I figured it was time to give Lucky Pot in Chinatown a shot.

The Scene: Lucky Pot is small (about ten tables), but with high ceilings and plenty of white paint, the place feels a lot bigger than a typical hole-in-the-wall. LP is very clean and the service is fast and attentive.

The Food: Well, obviously I ordered the Lamb Dumplings (steamed). For some strange reason my order did not look like Robb's. Imagine that. No worries...the taste made up for the lack of presentation. Never before have I eaten a dumpling that needed no dipping sauce. The lamb filling was super juicy and well seasoned. The wrapper was thick and held together nicely. We also ordered some Beef Fried Rice, Tofu with Napa Cabbage, and Lamb Noodle Soup. The soup wasn't my style, but there's no denying the awesomeness of the lamb chunks in it. Some of the best meat I've ever had anywhere.

The Verdict: I love dining in Chinatown. It's hard to find a bad spot, and Lucky Pot is no different. My dumpling heart still lies with Lai Lai, but Lucky Pot hasn't seen the last of me.

9888 Bellaire

No comments: